Village of Marvin Community SignNorth Carolina law allows a property owner to submit a petition to a municipality, requesting annexation. Two kinds of areas can be annexed: a contiguous area (adjacent to Village boundaries) or a satellite or non-contiguous area (not adjacent to Village boundaries).

To annex into Marvin, property owners must submit an annexation petition. To see if your property is eligible for annexation, contact the Village Clerk's Office or the Planning & Zoning Director at (704) 843-1680 or by using the Contact the Village form.


Why Should I Annex into Marvin?

Higher Quality and More Affordable Trash and Recycling Services

  • Average annual savings of >$100 per home‚Äč
  • Local customer service
  • Weekly trash, recycle, and yard waste collection
  • Annual bulk and white goods drop off
  • Free holiday tree collection

With Marvin's service, residents have experienced many positive changes, including:

  • Better quality of services (e.g., missed collections get addressed expediently); background checks and training standards of all employees will be required; and
  • Better customer service (i.e., a local Village of Marvin employee); and
  • Increased pedestrian and bicyclist safety by limiting large trucks in our neighborhoods; and
  • Preservation of Village roads (and privately maintained roads) by reducing the number of high weight collection trucks; and
  • Lower overall annual costs for residents (savings are estimated to be approximately $110!); and
  • Promote environmentally friendly community (reducing emissions); and
  • Greater control over performance issues (i.e., penalties for non-performance issue with a municipality is greater than an individual homeowner); and
  • Standardizing collection days and thereby improving neighborhood aesthetics (all homeowners will have carts out on same day vs. multiple days as it is now with multiple vendors having varying collection days).


Superior Road Maintenance

Village-maintained roads are better maintained than NCDOT or private roads! We take care of the potholes, so you don't hit them! Marvin has coordinated with NCDOT and built three roundabouts on New Town Road, and more major intersection improvements soon. We also intend to resurface neighborhood roads and install street lighting long the major thoroughfares.


Responsive Public Safety

Dedicated Law Enforcement Officers serving Marvin residents with faster response times than Union County! When emergencies happen seconds matter. Don't be that statistic with a 10-15 minute responsive time.


Parks and a Growing Trail Network

In 2020, the Village Council adopted a comprehensive plan to develop a trail network to provide interconnectivity to all of Marvin. Numerous trails are planned for construction in the coming years.


Join a Nationally Ranked Community

We are a friendly community that cares about each other. Other benefits of being a resident of Marvin includes reduced facility rental rates at Marvin Efird Park, community events such as Marvin Day, Tree Lighting Ceremony, and National Night Out, as well as connectivity to our expanding trails and parks network, increased pedestrian safety, and more.



Together we are stronger! By being in Marvin, you can run for local office or apply to be on one of our advisory boards and make a direct impact on big decisions made in your community. On top of that, being together in the Village of Marvin gives us strong lobbying power to address various issues at the State level and beyond.