North Carolina law allows a property owner to submit a petition to a municipality, requesting annexation. Two kinds of areas can be annexed: a contiguous area (adjacent to current Village boundaries) and a satellite or non-contiguous area (not adjacent to the Village boundaries).
Property owners wishing to initiate annexation may submit an annexation petition with a copy of their general warranty deed (to prove ownership of the property to be annexed). To see if your property is eligible for annexation, please check the linked map below or contact Austin W. Yow, Village Clerk & Assistant to the Manager at (704) 843-1680 or by using the Contact the Village form.
Why should I annex into Marvin?
Higher Quality and More Affordable Trash and Recycling Services
Beginning April 1, 2022, the Village will be taking over ALL solid waste and recycling services.
- Average annual savings of >$100 per home
- Local customer service
- Weekly trash, recycle, and yard waste
- Annual bulk and white goods drop off
- Free holiday tree collection
With that, residents will see many positive changes to come with their current services, including:
- Better quality of services (e.g., missed collections get addressed expediently); background checks and training standards of all employees will be required; and
- Better customer service (i.e., a local Village of Marvin employee); and
- Increased pedestrian and bicyclist safety by limiting large trucks in our neighborhoods; and
- Preservation of Village roads (and privately maintained roads) by reducing the number of high weight collection trucks; and
- Lower overall annual costs for residents (savings are estimated to be approximately $110!); and
- Promote environmentally friendly community (reducing emissions); and
- Greater control over performance issues (i.e., penalties for non-performance issue with a municipality is greater than an individual homeowner); and
- Standardizing collection days and thereby improving neighborhood aesthetics (all homeowners will have carts out on same day vs. multiple days as it is now with multiple vendors having varying collection days).
Superior Road Maintenance
Marvin-maintained public roads are better maintained than NCDOT or private roads! We take care of the potholes, so you don't hit them! Marvin has coordinated with NCDOT and built two roundabouts on New Town Road, with one additional roundabout at New Town and Marvin Road coming Summer 2022, and two more major intersection improvements soon. We also intend to resurface neighborhood roads and install street lighting long the major thoroughfares.
Responsive Public Safety
Dedicated Law Enforcement Officers serving Marvin residents with faster response times than Union County! When emergencies happen seconds matter. Don't be that statistic with a 10-15 minute responsive time.
But wait! There's more...
Parks and a Growing Trail Network
In 2020, the Village Council adopted a comprehensive plan to develop a trail network to provide interconnectivity to all of Marvin. Numerous trails are planned for construction in the coming years.
Join a Nationally Ranked Community
We are a friendly community that cares about each other. Other benefits of being a resident of Marvin includes reduced facility rental rates at Marvin Efird Park, community events such as the Tree Lighting Ceremony and Moonlight Egg Hunt, connectivity to our expanding trails and parks network, increased pedestrian safety, and more.
Together we are stronger! By being in Marvin, you can run for local office or apply to be on one of our advisory boards and make a direct impact on big decisions made in your community. On top of that, being together in the Village of Marvin gives us strong lobbying power to address various issues at the State level and beyond.
Low Taxes - Only 6 Cents
85% lower than our neighbors in Waxhaw, Marvin has one of the lowest taxes in the Charlotte region, at only 6 cents per $100 valuation of your property (an average of $400 per year).
For comparison, Waxhaw’s tax rate is 38.5 cents, and Charlotte’s tax rate is 34.8 cents. Yet with such a low tax rate, we manage a wide variety of services through responsible budgeting and efficient operations.